Friday, December 28, 2012

Of marble halls and crystal palaces...(or TRUST)

     Gazing trustingly into the adoring eyes of Gilbert Blythe, Anne Shirley quietly declares "I dont want marble halls and crystal palaces. All I want is you."  It takes Anne four whole books to finally realize that the dreams she has been pursuing and old ideal and ambitions she had were not worth giving up the one she loved for. She recognizes that they were not fulfilling.
(NOTE: If you thought this would be a post about guys...think again! :) Except, it might be, but only if you look very closely.) 
     It struck me what a similar scene occurs each time I finally give in my struggle for a particular dream or ambition. In the end I always confess that I don't really, really want those things. All I want is Him. I lay down my crystal palace in exchange for the fulness of Him.
     Aren't we humans odd? We hold so tightly to our hearts desires, whether they are a whim of the moment or a career of the future. We trade that dust and ashes for the fulness of His joy! We think these things will bring us joy when, in reality, "in HIS presence is fulness of joy and at HIS right hand are pleasures evermore." (emphasis mine)
     Now, I know my little parallel falls hopelessly short. After all Gilbert Blythe is not even comparable to the Lord Jesus (even with the gorgeous eyes). But I can't help seeing the same childlike stubbornness and tenacity in my own life as that little red-headed slip of a girl. And if I have learned anything in all the times I have had to gaze into His face and declare "All I want is you", it is to open my open hands. Let go. And then don't hang on to the dreams and ambitionsin the first place. Keep my hands open and place them into His. Hand in hand He will lead me, and we will have fellowship sweet. Its called TRUST.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post Ruth. Looks like you put some thought into it. :)

    Blessings on your day,

    Hannah Blow

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to express you opinion but honor Jesus with your comments!